9.30.2008

Nobel Snub

Now, I know that the US has "lost its standing in the world" and all, but this is fairly preposterous. Europe may have its great writers (and I'm sure it does), but I hardly think that their existence and productivity negates the potential for great writers in the United States (and for writers in the rest of the world, for that matter). Even if there are no potential US candidates for the prize this year, the statement is uncalled for and below someone holding this position. I think US writers and the literature they have produced has proven itself worthy of admiration and study--at least, I (selfishly) hope so.

It's still a great prize, and those who receive it should be honored, but it my opinion literature is about so much more than this, especially snide comments from judges.

The best line from the article: "You would think that the permanent secretary of an academy that pretends to wisdom but has historically overlooked Proust, Joyce, and Nabokov, to name just a few non-Nobelists, would spare us the categorical lectures," said David Remnick, editor of The New Yorker.

What do others think?

4 comments:

Adam said...

this seems pretty ridiculous to me. It sounds like that Nobel guy is pissed about the US being the cultural juggernaught that it is (not that it is the only one).

Not that I can blame him too much - and I would agree that if I was a writer - i would like to write in Europe someplace.

But honestly - does this guy really want to minimize america's past and current contributions to literature? WTF?

The dude picks the nobel prize for literature - just chill out and read some books. Leave the "europe's books are better than your books" argument at home and go give proust and joyce a posthumous nobel.

Grawlix said...

NERD FIGHT!!

Hey, they interviewed Appiah - that's my dude right there.

In all seriousness, this guy's an idiot. But I'm no more impressed by the responses from the New Yorker guy. You edit the freaking New Yorker and you call someone else a bunch of elitists? Wow.

Question: who are realistic American candidates? The article mentions Roth (legitimate) and Oates (really?). Who else could even be considered? Cormac McCarthy? Updike? Pynchon?

J said...

I don't have an advanced degree in literature, so I'm abstaining. Except to say, who cares what some Nobel douche says. How permanent is his position? Because I think you should be removed from such a body if you categorically write off ANY country. He's a dummy.

PS--I'm still waiting for one of you to write the great American novel. Don't disappoint me.

Paddy said...

I'm not really sure about American candidates. I'm not even saying at this point there are any candidates, but simply that this comment is just plain dumb.

I guess when I think about it, though, Don Delillo has had a pretty substantial number of good literary works (I read most of one of his books one time). What about Gore Vidal? I know he lived in Italy for some time, but he certainly considers himself an American writer.