7.25.2008

Neurotheology

Reading over the nytimes review of the new X-Files movie - i looked at the comments posted by readers. One was particularly crazy but mentioned "neurotheology," a term I had never heard of. It seems like an interesting field of study - but I don't think it has been developed very much. Here are some interesting quotes from the wikipedia page on neurotheology:

"According to McKinney's theory, pre-frontal development, in humans, creates an illusion of chronological time as a fundamental part of normal adult cognition past the age of three. The inability of the adult brain to retrieve earlier images experienced by an infantile brain creates questions such as "where did I come from" and "where does it all go", which McKinney suggests led to the creation of various religious explanations."

"Newberg et al describe neurological processes which are driven by the repetitive, rhythmic stimulation which is typical of human ritual, and which contribute to the delivery of transcendental feelings of connection to a universal unity."

It was hard not to relate these ideas to my own Catholoic upbringing - so much of a "mass experience" is revolved around repetitive sounds, smells, and actions. Even today, hearing some of the traditional songs does evoke a certain transcendental state for me.

I think this idea could also be extrapolated upon to understand patriotism. It always annoyed me that I got goose bumps when the national anthem played (at one point I was training myself not to - but I gave up). But this repetitive experience also evokes a sense of a larger unity - something larger than ourselves.

It seems interesting as a theory though because I don't think it needs to understand a particular theology or God - but only how our minds work in relation to spirituality.

If you all know of any good articles or resources on this subject - let me know. Or just add your two bits.

No comments: