8.06.2008

Make Your Picks

Check out this NY Times Chart (you can add your own, of course) and share your picks with everyone.

Here are mine:

Obama: What Obama needs in a running-mate, I think, is someone who has a fairly good track record with foreign policy and defense and can help him out in some battleground states. No matter how much you like Obama, McCain clearly has the upperhand on experience in foreign policy (which is not to say that I agree with him, but rather that touting such a resume can win lots of votes no matter what decisions you may or may not have supported in the past). Biden seems to be the best pick in terms of offering experience in foreign policy, but what does he really offer in terms of state electoral votes? I would assume that his appearance on the ticket wouldn't give Obama much of a boost, or provide much sway in terms of battleground states. Bill Richardson's experience also makes him a top pick. He has served in a cabinet position, an ambassador to the UN, as a congressman, and now as a governer--a really well-rounded and respectable resume, even though it didn't get much play in the primaries. I also think that Richardson could help Obama court the Latino vote, which from some indications seems to be important this year. So Richardson is a top-pick, I think. Equally though, I would say that Chuck Hagel is also a top-pick. Choosing a Republican can really help Obama claim that he is there to "change Washington" and put partisan politics aside. He can say that he is reaching out to work with Republicans, and can find common ground. I think this balanced ticket could also help sway some swing-state moderates, who think that Obama is too far left, to vote for him in the Fall.

My picks: Richardson, or Hagel.

McCain: Really, all I want to say to begin this is, "ANYONE BUT ROMNEY!" I really can't stand anything about Romney, and really I think his presence could be detrimental to McCain's campaign. Sure, some people praise Romney for his conservatism, but in reality (and no amount of robotic double-talk can get around this) Romney has changed his position on "conservative issues," like abortion and same-sex marriage a number of times. And not the good change--like, oh, I found some good research and talked to a lot of people, and have now come to a different conclusion, but the bad change--like, ya, I need to make sure to get conservatives on my side during this election, so I better say that fetuses are human and gays shouldn't marry. But, seriously, I really think there is no other pick for McCain than Charlie Crist. There really seems to be nothing great about Crist, but he does happen to be in the right place at the right time. Those Floridians love him, and he could hand this key state to McCain. Besides Texas, Florida offers McCain the largest source of electoral votes--votes he will need to compete with CA, NY, and other big democratic-leaning states. Of course, Lieberman is mentioned on the list, but let's face it, he's a magoo. He didn't get people excited when he ran with Gore, and chances are when working with McCain he might even be able to drum up less excitement.

My pick: Crist

So there you all have it. Make your picks.

9 comments:

Grawlix said...

I don't think I'll get either of the people I want (Mark Warner & Sarah Palin).

RE: Crist - Paddy may not be aware of the gov's past dalliances with the FOD's in his state. He's unlikely to ameliorate the fundies and wingnuts who already have qualms about McCain.

Paddy said...

I don' think that McCain really has to pick a VP who will help him win the "fundies and wingnuts." He needs Florida. As much as the neo-conservatives want to threaten McCain, the central states that typically "go red" will continue to do so. They will complain a lot, but on election day, one thing is for sure: they don't want Obama in. (Anyway, his name is almost "Christ," which could pull some conservative votes. They might even be able to misprint a few posters: Vote McCain and Christ. That would work, I think.)

What the hell is an FOD? I do know that there was some ridiculous concern over Crist's sexuality, but that's been covered by a timely engagement. Phew!

Probably not on the Mark Warner thing: He says no.

Grawlix said...

FOD = friend of Dorothy

I know Warner's said no, which is really too bad. If he ends of picking Kaine, it'll be because he's a second-rate Warner.

To disagree with your reasoning a little bit, Paddy. If Johnny Mac wants to win Ohio or Colorado, he needs overwhelming fundy support; that's the way W won in aught-four. His concern isn't that those voters will swing Obama (which I actually think is possible), but that they won't vote. If you go to a megachurch, does McCain/Crist get you to the polls? Probably not. Moreover, I think you're overestimating Florida. Obama can easily get to 270 without it. McCain can't get to 270 without three of Ohio, Michigan, Colorado, and Virginia.

RE: Obama - I come from the Bill Clinton school. If you pick someone whose credentials complement your weaknesses, you concede to the voters that you're weak in those areas. If Obama picks someone like Joe Biden or (god help me) Sam Nunn, he's saying to voters "I need my VP to have this experience because you can't really trust me on these issues." I think that's a bad call, especially on foreign policy issues. It seems to me Obama should do what Billy C did and pick someone whose public identity reinforces his brand - in this case a next gen, post-partisan, change agent. Of the most discussed candidates, I think Sebelius fits that profile best, though I don't know all that much about her record. J, what do Kansans think of her?

And Sarah Palin is bangin, yo. McCain/Palin '08.

J said...

My pick--who gives a fuck. This political season has been so long and so inane that I simply don't care anymore. I've always thought politics were interesting and exciting, but it has gotten ridiculous lately. So, I could care less who the VP nominees are.

J said...

Re: Sebelius

She's pretty well liked, I believe. I don't know too much about her either because she was put in office while I was in Boston. The fact that she won here as a Democrat points to her wide appeal. I'm not sure she's a good pick for Obama simply because she's has almost no recognition. She's definitely a fast rising star within the Democratic party, but little to no recognition in the mainstream. They would have to spend a lot of time "introducing" her to America.

But I hope she gets it because we partied with one of her legislative assistants in Lawrence and I think I still have her card...

Paddy said...

J, why are you always so crabby? Can't you just answer the question without going on a rant about what you do and do not like?

Grawlix, FOD. Got it. Your points about McCain's VP choice make sense, but I don't think there is a chance that Obama would be overshadowed by Richardson. He has foreign relations experience, but he also brings much more experience to the table. The campaign could focus on a number of things to get around the issue that Richardson is making up for Obama's lack of foreign policy experience.

Palin: All right for a governor, but bangin'? Really?

P.S. Someone agree with me that Lieberman is a magoo. Please.

J said...

I'm crabby?!?! Who's the douche that always writes posts ranting about how "growing your business" or CNN headline t-shirts drives them nuts? You know what I don't like--your ugly face!!

Grawlix said...

Seriously, J, why are you always angry these days. It's kind of a turn-off.

Paddy said...

Looks like Biden may be Obama's man, Grawlix.