10.11.2008

An Interesting Video

CNN video

A little glimpse of the McCain I like. I think this speaks a great deal to his character--that he was willing to say this in front of so many, apparently uncivilized, attendees. This is the part of McCain that I admire and respect; the part that we used to see much more of.

However, I also think this behavior is the natural outgrowth of the negative campaigning and the poor models of "debate" that we get from both candidates and the media. It's all about the ad hominens, and never about the issues. The sincere fear that leads these people to ask these questions and make these statements is the result of the very tactics the McCain campaign has been using. It's good that McCain is trying to assuage the fears, but it is a little too late, I think.

1 comment:

Grawlix said...

You'll excuse me if I'm less willing to give J-Mac the benefit of the doubt. This is one exception to a recent pattern of non-stop character assassination and border-toeing innuendo.

This ad is exhibit A, I think. Sarah Palin's race-baiting is exhibit B. What does that produce? Supporters like these. "Terrorism is in his blood." Really?

Oh, and where did the lady who asked that question get her messed up info? McCain volunteers in Minnesota.

(ps: I am a terrorist sympathizer.)