1.16.2009

Mike's Hard Lemonade....Really?

So here is my return to our blogging. I apologize for my absence. Here goes nothing:

I've been really pissed off by these Mike's Hard Lemonade commercials lately. Have you seen these things? Normally, they are set up where this dude who works for mike's hard lemonade (who speaks and looks like he is slow or mentally challenged - i'm guessing this is done on purpose) suggests something that two other employees think is stupid. I found these commercials offensive on a couple levels. First the characterization of the dude as mentally challenged and second, that Mike's hard lemonade is something that tough guys drink, rather than high school kids who can't stand the taste of beer or alcohol in general.

Here's a link to an interesting comment on it (granted it is from bestweekever.tv - but it is still funny).

Here's a link to the actual commercial.

My favorite line from the article: "Why not go the extra mile and have Tim Taylor supercharge the Lemonade then ride away with it in a Chevy truck with John Wayne and the movie 300?"

Being super heterosexual is cool right?

2 comments:

Greg said...

I find the classic "I'm a man, I drive a pick-up truck, I eat red meat, and I LOVE football" vibe from the commercials to be really stupid, especially when they're trying to sell Mike's Hard.

I saw a few of these commercials over the weekend. It doesn't seem to me like the guy is supposed to portray a mentally handicapped person, but rather that guy who's just socially inept and trying to fit in. I guess I don't find them to be as socially insensitive as Adam, but still really dumb.

Paddy said...

I can't really get a gauge on this "slow" guy. It does seem as though he is supposed to look particularly "bad," but I guess part of why I see the commercial as ineffective is that I can't understand why they have him acting like that.

I agree with others, though, that this ad campaign seems awkward for such a non-"hard" drink. I mean, this might fall in line somewhere between a strawberry dacari and the little sip of champagne you get at special family occasions. Not much going on here, but I think it will win over the former Zima drinkers.